A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ASHREIGNEY, or RING'S-ASH, a parish in the hundred of NORTH-TAWTON-with-WINKLEY, county of DEVON, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Chulmleigh, containing 858 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Rev. J. T. Johnson. The church is dedicated to St. James. A school for the instruction of boys and girls has been endowed with £10 per annum by Mrs. Gertrude Pyncombe.