Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

AVETON GIFFORD is a neat village, pleasantly situated in the picturesque valley of the river Aven, 3½ miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, and S.E. of Modbury. Its parish contains 1057 souls, and 3952A. 2R. 39P. of fertile land, including the small hamlets of Ashford, Lixton, Waterhead, and many scattered houses. The river is crossed by a good bridge, and is navigable for barges, and has a salmon fishery belonging to Mr. Bastard and Mr. Lowe. The manor was anciently held by the Giffards or Giffords, and afterwards passed to the Dynham, Prous, Mules, Damarell, and Berry families. It now belongs to E. R. P. Bastard, Esq. : but here is a small manor called Heathfield, belonging to P. Hyne, Esq., and the Barton estate belongs to J. M. Woollcombe, Esq. Part of this parish belongs to several smaller owners. A market and two fairs were granted to the lord of the manor in 1289, but they have been obsolete some centuries. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a large cruciform structure, in the early English style of the time of Henry III. Its tower contains six bells, and is crowned by a lofty circular turret. It is one of the finest and oldest churches in South Devon, and the interior would have a very handsome appearance if the mouldings, columns, capitals, &c., were cleansed of their many coats of whitewash. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £38. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £662, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W. P. Pitman, M.A. who has 97A. 1R. 38P. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1849, and having tasteful grounds. The Baptists, Wesleyans and Bible Christians, have small chapels here. There are 2A. of land, and several tenements and rent-charges, given by Peter Bateman and others, in the reign of Elizabeth, for the repairs of the church, and now producing £6. 8s. 10d. per annum, exclusive of fines. The poor have 8s. 4d. yearly, left by Mary Magdelene and John Elliott, and the interest of £20, left by John Horswell in 1711, and vested with the churchwardens in 1784.

Marked 2 are at Ashford ; 3, at Lixton ; 4, at Waterhead ; 5, at Efford ; 6, at Heathfield ; and 7, at Stadbury.
Edgecombe Mr Rd.
Ellis Wm.
Froude Robt. grocer and insurance agent, Post office
Hyne Philip, Esq. Grove Park
Parker John, schoolmaster
Parsons Mrs Eliz.
Pitman Rev Wm. Parr, M.A. Rectory
Saunders Roger, thatcher
Sinkins George, baker
Stagg Mr
Tuckerman Mr John


Church House, Robert Davy
Harraton Inn, Wm. Adams
King's Arms, George Prowse
King's Head, Samuel Waycott
Rng of Bells, Henry Willcocks


Damarell, Henry
2 Luckcraft John
Morgan Peter


Phillips Thomas
Stentiford Thos.
Yabsley Wm.


Pearce Wm.
Pitts Charles


3 Sadover Wm.
Torring Rd. (& painter)
Willcocks Saml.


Ellis John
Pulliblank Jph.
2 Trick Charles


(+ are Owners.)
6 Cowles Chas.
Daw Walter
Denbow Wm.
Dingle Thomas
Elliott Thos. L.
3 Harris John
2+ Hingston Adw.
+ Hodder Saml., Harraton
Hodder Rd., Ley
Kerswell Nichs.
Kerswell Wm.
Langworthy Edw.
Langworthy Fdk.
+Lauzun A. G.
Lidstone Geo.
Luggar Wm.
7 Luscombe Jno.
4 Matthews Edw.
4 Moore Thos.
+ Parsons Robt.
Pearse Nathl.
+ Pearse John A.
5 Peek Samuel
6 Pepperell Nchs.
Phillips John
Pitts Charles
+ Sherwill Thos.
Snowden George
5 Taylor Geo.
6 Toms Wm.
+ Torring Grace
Torring James
2 Torring Nathl.
Torring Nchs. (& coal mert.)
2 Trick Charles
7 Wills John
Willcocks Geo.
Yabsley Josias


Cole John
6 Cowles Chas.
Macey Richard
Matthews Edw.
Wakeham Geo.
Willcocks Hy.


Elliott Richard
Macey Walter
Steer James
Steer John


Froude Robert
Laskey Alex.
Parker John
Phillips John, (& ironmonger)
Tolchard John
Toms Joseph
White Sarah


Chubb Edward
Chubb John
Laskey Alex.
Rolle Wm.