A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
AVETON-GIFFORD, a parish in the hundred of ERMINGTON, county of DEVON, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Modbury, containing 924 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £38. 1. 8., and in the patronage of James Pitman, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with later additions. The lords of the manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. The river Avon, which is navigable from this place to the English channel, is here crossed by a bridge, on the road leading to South Enford.