Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
AVETON GIFFORD. St. Andrew. The church is built in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, chancel aisles, transepts, nave, and central tower containing eight bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1869. The nave and transepts are chiefly early 14th century work. The north aisle was added at the end of the 15th or beginning of the 16th century; the south aisle was probably erected early in the 14th century, and was most likely the chantry called "de Lynellott". It is mentioned in Bishop Neville's Register as a perpetual curacy, and must have been of much importance, as the curates were regularly nominated by the Patron distinct from the rector of this parish.
Walter de Stapledon, who at one time was Rector of St. Andrew's, was consecrated Bishop of Exeter in 1307.
There are very good parclose screens, the tracery is flowing in character, and would give the impression of 14th century work, but the detail suggests a much later date. The screens were turned out of the church in 1869, but were replaced after the restoration in 1886 [plate 9].
The registers date: baptisms, 1613; marriages, 1603; burials, 1603.