"AWLISCOMBE, a parish, township, and village in the hundred of Hemyock, in the county of Devon, 2 miles S. of Honiton, its post town, 9 N. of Cullompton railway station, and 16 from Exeter. A small stream, a branch of the river Otter runs through it. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £223, in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a fine old building of the 15th century, and was repaired in 1838. It contains a very handsome stone screen and some beautiful windows. There are parochial endowments amounting to £10 a year, and a national school for 60 children. It is surrounded on the north side by the old Roman encampment of Hembury Fort."