"AXMOUTH is a pleasant village, on the coast of the English Channel, at the mouth of the river Axe, 3 miles S. by E. of Colyton, and 6 miles W. by S. of Lyme Regis, and S.S.W. of Axminster. Its parish contains 645 souls, and 4534 acres of land, terminating in the lofty and rugged sea cliffs, which are crowned by chalky crags, in some places assuming the appearance of shattered turrets, pinnacles, &c.; and in others, overtopped by luxuriant plantations. . . . The manor of Axmouth was given by the Earl of Devon, in the reign of Henry II., to Montebourg Abbey, in Normandy; but Henry V. gave it to Sion Abbey. Edward VI. granted it to Walter Erle, Esq. in 1679, it was sold to Sir Walter Yonge, who sold it, in 1691, to Richard Hallett. John H. Hallett, Esq., is now lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the parish, and of the mansions called Stedcombe House and Haven Cliff. . . . Axmouth church is an ancient structure, with a fine Anglo-Norman doorway, and a tower containing three bells. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.