"AYLESBEARE is a small village on the eastern declivity of the bold range of hills between the vales of the Exe and the Otter, eight miles east of Exeter. Its parish contains 433 souls and 2948 acres of land, exclusive of NEWTON POPPLEFORD. . . . The manor of Aylesbeare was long held by the Courtenays as part of the barony of Okehampton. After the attainder of Sir Francis Englefield, one moiety of it was granted to the Earl of Essex, who sold it to the tenants. The other moiety, with a great part of the parish, belongs to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle. The vicar has a small manor here, and Minchin Court, with one moiety of the great tithes, belongs to the Rev. H.W. Marker. The other moiety of the latter belongs to the rector of Huxham. John Divett, Esq., John Praed, Esq., the Rev. Samuel Walker, and several smaller owners have freehold estates here. The parish Church (St Christopher,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 2s. 4d. and in 1831 at £155. The Rev. H.W. Marker is patron, and the Rev. W.H. Carwithen, M.A. is the present vicar, and has a neat thatched residence, and 59A. of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.