A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
AYLESBEAR, a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (S, W. by W.) from Ottery St. Mary, containing, with the chapelry of Newton Poppleford, 854 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £16. 2. 4., endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev, W. H. Marker. The church is dedicated to St. Christopher. This parish is bounded on the east by the river Otter, on which stands a silk and riband manufactory. In 1697, Richard White bequeathed a small endowment for the instruction of poor children.