"BAMPTON is a small ancient market town, chiefly built of stone, in the deep valley of the small river Batherm, about a mile above its confluence with the Exe, 6½ miles N. of Tiverton, and 9 miles S.W. of Wivelscombe. Its parish contains 2049 inhabitants, and 7785 acres of land, divided into the Eastern, Western, Petton, and Town Quarters, and comprising the hamlets of PETTON and SHILLINGFORD; many scattered farm-houses, &c., and several extensive limestone quarries. . . . The sheep bred in this neighbourhood are remarkable for their size, and great numbers of them are sold at Bampton fairs. The woollen trade was formerly carried on here, but it began to decline in 1772, and was given up many years ago. . . . John Collins, Esq., who is about to erect a mansion at Wonham, is now lord of the manor; and at the court leet, a portreeve, bailiff, &c., are appointed; but the parish is all freehold, and belongs to many other proprietors, the largest of whom are, S.T. Lucas, Esq., C. Rowliffe, Esq., Dr. Troyte, the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, Thos. Daniel, Esq., H. and R. Badcock, Esqrs., M.B. Bere, Esq., the Nutcombe family, and J. Brown, Esq. Hy. Badcock has a pleasant seat here, called Combhead. The Church (St. Michael) is a large ancient structure, with a tower and six bells. . . . Petton Chapel, about four miles N.E. of the town, is a small chapel of ease, which was built in 1847; but that at Shillingford has been delapidated many years. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Bampton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.