Restoration of Ancient Chasuble to Barnstaple Church
Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries vol. VI, (January 1910 to October 1911), illus. p.105.
Prepared by Michael Steer
The Peard family have long been benefactors of St Peter’s Church. Donor of the chasuble John Peard (died 1574) was Chamberlain of the Borough of Barnstaple. His wife was Juliana Berry (whom he married on 4 May 1545) was a daughter of Nicholas Berry of Eastleigh. Their second but eldest surviving son and heir was George Peard (1548–1621) of the High Street, Barnstaple who was a lawyer of that town and was twice elected as one of the two Members of Parliament for Barnstaple, in 1597 and 1604. His nephew George Peard (1594–1645) was also elected as a Member of Parliament for Barnstaple in 1640, in both the Short and Long Parliaments. The article, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
Note 103. RESTORATION OF ANCIENT CHASUBLE TO BARNSTAPLE CHURCH. — The beautiful chasuble which we here illustrate has recently been restored to Barnstaple Church by Mrs. Peard, in whose family it has been for nearly three hundred and fifty years. In 1562 John Peard and Nicholas Whichalsea were Churchwardens. The chasuble is referred to in an inventory of church goods made in 1560, and its restoration to the Church is a matter for congratulation. As can be seen from the illustrations it is of very beautiful workmanship and its excellent state of preservation is no doubt due to the care which the Peard family have taken of it. Eds.