"BEAFORD, a pleasant village, on the eastern acclivity of the Torridge valley, 5 miles S.E. of Great Torrington, has in its parish 713 souls, and 3335 acres of land, including Kiverly, Woolly, Upcott, and a number of scattered farm houses, &c. J.H. Furse, Esq., is lord of the manor, but Woolly belongs to Sir T.D. Acland, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells; and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 15s. 7½d., and in 1831 at £233, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Wood, B.A., who has 77A. 2R. 15P. of glebe, and a handsome residence, built in 1850. The Baptists and Bible Christians have small chapels here. The parish clerk has the free use of a house and 6 acres of land, given at an early period. There were formerly chapels at Upcott and Woolly." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Beaford Archive - a searchable online archive of over 10,000 photographs of North Devon by James Ravilious and Roger Deakins, capturing life in rural Devon over a twenty year period starting in the early 1970s.
Bennett, John. The Chequered Military Careeer of John Bennett of Beaford, Devon, Devon Family Historian, vol. 161, (2017) pp.34-37.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Parish Registers going back to 1653 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1653 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings and Marriages 1653-1729.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Beaford, 1598-1615. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]
The Deanery of Torrington - An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashreigny, Beaford, Buckland Filleigh, Dolton, Dowland, Great Torrington, Huish, Iddesleigh, Langtree, Little Torrington, Meeth, Merton, Newton St. Petrock, Peters Marland, Petrockstowe, Roborough, Shebbear, Sheepwash, St. Giles in the Wood and Winkleigh. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2010) . [Ashreigny Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Beaford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Buckland Filleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Dolton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; Dowland Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1840, Bur: 1742-1837; Great Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Huish Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Iddesleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Langtree Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Little Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Meeth Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Merton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Newton St. Petrock Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Peters Marland Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Petrockstowe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Roborough Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Shebbear Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sheepwash Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; St Giles in the Wood Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Winkleigh Bapt: 1813-1853, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Section on Beaford from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Transcript of complete entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Beaford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Beaford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cresswell, Beatrix F. Beaford folk and their neighbours: a paper read before the Women's Institute, Beaford, October 5th, 1927, (1927) 15 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library: pB/BEA 3/0001/CRE]
Martin, J.M. Broadbury and its Ancient Earthworks. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 1893, Vol XXV, pp.547-551. [Index]
Scott, John and Gray, Gladys. Out of the darkness: a brief history of the old quarry, Beer, J. Scott & G. Gray [1990?] 21 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library: p622.35/BEE/SCO]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS552150 (Lat/Lon: 50.916246, -4.061267), Beaford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Beaford contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.