[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"BEAFORD, a parish and township in the south division of the hundred of Shebbear, in the county of Devon. 5 miles to the S.E. of Torrington, and 11 miles from the Eggesford station on the North Devon railway. The village is situated on the turnpike road from Torrington to Exeter, near the banks of the river Torridge. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, of the value of £315, in the patronage of the Rev. C. Wood, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient structure in the decorated style, with a very beautiful porch on the south side. It contains a curious old font, and an open carved roof of exquisite workmanship. The Baptists and Bible Christians have chapels; and there is a large Church Sunday school, and two parochial schools. There is a charity of £10 per annum annexed to the clerkship of the parish. The land is generally under tillage, and produces good crops of wheat and barley."