"BERRYNARBOR is a pleasant village, on an eminence near the sea coast, overlooking Combemartin Cove, 3 miles E. of Ilfracombe. Its parish contains 899 inhabitants, and 4958A. 1R. 27P. of land, including many scattered farm-houses, &c., and a range of hills in which lime and other stone is got. Westcote says it was originally called Bury, and afterwards Bury Nerbert, from the family who held it some centuries ago, but we find it was held by the Berry family till 1708. A.D. Bassett, Esq., who has a pleasant seat here, called Watermouth, owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor, which was purchased by J.D. Bassett, Esq., in 1712. Sir P.B. Chichester, Sir P.F. Palmer Acland, and the Executors of the late Charles Cutcliffe, have estates here. Mr. Bassett is also lord of the manors of East Haggington and Woolscott. The parish has its annual feast or revel on the first Sunday in July, and was the birthplace of the celebrated Bishop Jewel. The Church is an ancient structure, with some monuments of the Berry family." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Hawker, Rev. Treasurer. Birthplace of Bishop Jewel. Trans. Devon. Assoc. , 1879, Vol XI, pp. 256-261. [transcript]
Le Bas, Charles Webb. Life of Bishop [John] Jewel [1522- ], London, J.G & F.Rivington (1835) 345 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library: s920/JEW]
MIs for this parish are included in the Incledon index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Chanter, J.F. The parish and church of St. Peter Berrynarbor, Exeter, Townsend (1910) 12p: ill. [North Devon Athenaeum: D900BRA/CHA]
Chanter, John Frederick. Exeter Episcopal Register (Lacy, Part II). Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries vol. IX, (January 1916 to January 1917), p.61. [Transcript]
Parish Registers going back to 1540 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1540, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1682, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1550-1812 and Marriages 1540-1812.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Berrynarbor, 1599-1641. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]
Plomer. Transcript of the marriage register of Berrynarbor, Cornwall [i.e.Devon] 1540-1783 by Mr. Plomer for Phillimore & Co. (MSS). (1913) 40 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library sx929.3/BER/1540]
The Miscellaneous Series of IHGS Parish Registers, The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, 79-82 Northgate, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1BA.: CD-ROM (n.d.). [The Devon section of contains: Marriages: Berrynarber 1540-1783, Bridgerule 1702-1753, Chardstock 1597-1837, Challacombe 1599-1621 and 1673-1837, Farringdon 1620-1788, Lynton 1591-1837, Pinhoe 1687-1837, Plymouth 1653-1674, Plymstock 1591-1812, Rewe 1686-1836, Witheridge 1646-1837.] [Also LDS Film 90711]
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Arlington, Ashford, Berrynarbor, Bittadon, Bratton Fleming, Braunton, Brendon, Challacombe, Charles, Combe Martin, Countisbury, East Buckland, East Down, Georgeham, Goodleigh, Heanton Punchardon, High Bray, Ilfracombe, Kentisbury, Loxhore, Lynton, Martinhoe, Marwood, Mortehoe, Parracombe, Shirwell, Stoke Rivers, Trentishoe, West Buckland and West Down. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Arlington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1814-1837; Ashford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1747-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Berrynarbor Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bittadon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1754-1835, Bur: 1815-1843; Bratton Fleming Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Braunton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Brendon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Challacombe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1822-1848; Charles Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Combe Martin Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Countisbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Buckland Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1839; East Down Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1852; Georgeham Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Goodleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Heanton Punchardon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; High Bray Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ilfracombe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Kentisbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Loxhore Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lynton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Martinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Marwood Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Mortehoe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1750-1837; Parracombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1598-1838, Bur: 1813-1838; Shirwell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoke Rivers Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Trentishoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; West Buckland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; West Down Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840.]
Transcript of complete entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Berrynarbor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Berrynarbor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Blake, A.J.A. Berrynarbor: A short history and introduction to the village. (1964) [Westcountry Studies Library, Plymouth Central Library]
Palmer, Mervyn G. Watermouth Castle near Ilfracombe, Devon: a short description illustrated with photographs, Ilfracombe, Chronicle Press (1951) 20 pp. [Barnstaple Library: BN:BER 5/1951/PAL]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS560467 (Lat/Lon: 51.201314, -4.062519), Berrynarbor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Names from the Berrynarbor War Memorial, transcribed by Peter Heal.
Berrynarbor contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Name listing from Kelly's Post Office Directory of Devonshire and Cornwall of 1856.