[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"BICTON, (or Bickton), a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 3 miles to the W. of Sidmouth, its post town. It is beautifully situated on the sea-coast, on the banks of the river Otter, and includes the hamlet of Yettington. At the time of the Norman survey, the manor of Bicton was held by the singular tenure of providing a county gaol; which tenure was abolished by Act of Parliament in 1787. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, of the value of £220, in the patronage of the heirs of Lord Rolle. The church stands in a pleasant spot surrounded by woods, and contains a monument to one of the Rolles. It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Bicton Lodge, a spacious mansion in a park well-wooded and abounding in deer, is the seat of the Rolles.
"RAWLEIGH, a tything in the parishes of Bicton and Rockbeare, hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon."
"YETTINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Bicton, county Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Sidmouth."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003