Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bigbury 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BIGBURY

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

BIGBURY, a small village on the west side of the Aven valley, about 1½ miles from Bigbury Bay, and 3½ miles S. of Modbury, has in its parish 652 souls, and 2902A. 2R. 20P. of land. It includes many scattered houses, and a hamlet called St. Ann's Chapel. The manor was held for nine generations by a family of its own name, and afterwards passed to the Champernownes, Willoughbys, and Pawlets. It now belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess Dowager of Sandwich, who are also patrons of the rectory, but part of the parish belongs to W. L. Prettejohn and several smaller owners. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 7s. 11d., and in 1831 at £688, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Terence Livingston, who has 99A. 2R. 39p. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £500 per annum. The Church (St. Lawrence,) is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. Its pulpit was formerly in Ashburton church, and is finely carved. Here is a small Baptist Chapel. The poor parishioners have the interest of £25, left by a Mr. Lee and a Mr. Lome.

DIRECTORY

Amm James, vict. Hare & Hounds
Cocker Philip, vict. Royal Oak
Fortescue Rev Rt. Hy., M.A. curate
Hallett Jane, shopkeeper
Livingston Rev Terence, rector
Saunders John, vict. King's Arms
Taylor Jas. miller, Nodden Mill
Woodmason James, basket maker

BLACKSMITHS.

Foale John St. Anne's Chapel
Luckcraft Thos.

BOOT & SHOEMAKERS.

Bardens John
Coaker John
Lane John

CARPENTERS.

Steer Simon
Steer Thomas
Steer Thos. jun

FARMERS.( + are Owners)

Adams John, Houghton
Andrews Wm.
Crocker Richard
Cuming John
Cuming Richard, Cumery
+ Gill Nicholas
Gill Wm.
Grant James
Hancock John
Hingston Andw.
Hooppell Robt., Hexdown
Hooppell Benj.
Hooppell Wm.
+ Morgan Amos
Parraton Henry
+ Pearse Thomas
Pepperell James
Pepperell Wm.
Reeve Wm.
Terry Richard
+ Trant John, Foxhole
Wroth Samuel Tuftld
+ Wroth S., Tuftld

TAILORS.

Amm James
Foot Richard

CARRIERS (Sat.) to Plymouth

Roach Nicholas
Terry John