A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BIGBURY, a parish in the hundred of ERMINGTON, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (S.) from Modbury, containing 536 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £28. 7. 11., and in the patronage of P. Browne, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Avon, which falls into Bigbury bay, an inlet of the English channel, the navigation of which is somewhat dangerous: the coast is indented with several coves, which afford convenient retreats for smugglers.