"BISHOP'S NYMPTON, a large village, on a pleasant declivity, 3 miles E.S.E. of South Molton, has in its parish 1325 inhabitants, and 9579 acres of land, skirted on the west by the river Mole, and intersected by several tributary streams. This large parish is hilly and fertile, and comprises many scattered farm houses, and the hamlets of Ash-Mill, 1½ mile E.; Newton, 1 mile N.; and Bishop's Mill, or Bish Mill, 1½ mile S.E. of the village. . . . The soil is held by numerous free and copy-holders, the largest of whom are the Rev. W. Karslake, Rev. W. Thorne, Sir R.G. Throgmorton, Rev. P. Johnson, H. Bawden, Esq., Rev. J. Bawden, Rd. Preston, Esq., and Messrs. S.W. Yeo, T. Loveband, S. Passmore, and Alex Fisher. Mole Mills, formerly employed as a woollen factory, are now unoccupied. . . . The Church is a fine old structure, with a lofty and elegant tower, containing six bells. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, within the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple but under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter.
Painter, Desmond. A Black Passmore Sheep, Devon Family Historian, vol. 137, (2011) pp.4-6. [Herbert Edmund Passmore, b. 1870]
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS and NDA North Devon indexes - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Mary is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 8 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M23).
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Parish Registers going back to 1556 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1556 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
- Wesleyan Chapel: Registers for c1807-37 - see Barnstaple Circuit (PRO RG 4/954)
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1556-1837 (incomplete) and Marriages 1558-1837. (These entries are based in part on Bishops' Transcripts.)
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Bishops Nympton, 1607-1614 and 1633. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]
The Deanery of South Molton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Bishop's Nympton, Cheldon, Creacombe, Cruwys Morchard, East Anstey, East Woolfardisworthy, East Worlington, George Nympton, King's Nympton, Knowstone, Mariansleigh, Meshaw, Molland, North Molton, Oakford, Puddington, Rackenford, Romansleigh, Rose Ash, Satterleigh, South Molton, Stoodleigh, Templeton, Thelbridge, Twitchen, Warkleigh, Washford Pyne, West Anstey, West Worlington and Witheridge. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902). CD-ROM 062, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Bishop's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheldon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1841; Creacombe Bapt: 1814-1902, Mar: 1759-1835, Bur: 1813-1850; Cruwys Morchard Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1688-1839; East Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; East Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; George Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; King's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Knowstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1740-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Mariansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Meshaw Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1838; Molland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; North Molton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Oakford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Puddington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1759-1836, Bur: 1740-1837; Rackenford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Romansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1730-1837; Rose Ash Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1850; Satterleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; South Molton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoodleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Templeton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Thelbridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1853; Twitchen Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Warkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Washford Pyne Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1840; West Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1745-1838; West Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1846, Bur: 1813-1851; Witheridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1835]
Section on Bishops Nympton from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bishops Nympton to another place.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Elizabeth Kipp, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: Pigot's 1830; PRs; 1841-1901 censuses; 1641-2 Protestation Return; Hearth Tax 1674; Taxes 1581-1660 Stoate; Devon Wills (Worthy); Lay Subsidy Rolls.)
SPN. William Lucas BOND Devon (1820-1901) and the origin of the name, Torrington. The Gazette Journal of the Toowoomba and Darling Downs Family History Society Inc., Vol 32 No 3 (November 2019) p. 1 [ISSN 1443-5381] [William Lucas Bond was born in Bishops Nympton.]
You can see the administrative areas in which Bishops Nympton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Tull, Christopher S. Bishopsnympton: church and people. - 2nd rev. ed. Bishopsnympton]: [C.Tull] (1979) 38p: ill.
Bishops Nympton Parish Council 1895-1995: centenary commemorative booklet: the village then and now, Tiverton, (1995) 84p, plates: ill, map. [Westcountry Studies Library: sB/BIS 3/1895/BIS]
A note on some Passmore Farms in North Molton, Bishop's Nympton and Twitchen, by Desmond Painter.
Bargain and Sale (1570), Bargain and Sale Endorsement (1570), Final Concord Greenslade to Phelps (1776), Final Concord Passmore to Bryan (1776), Mortgage (1776), Conveyance (1778), Conveyance Recitals (1874) concerning Aller and Pollington in Bishops Nympton, provided by Desmond Painter.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS758237 (Lat/Lon: 50.999247, -3.771349), Bishops Nympton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Bishop's Nympton contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]
Extracts from 18th and 19th Century newspapers, relating to Bishop's Nympton, provided by Lindsey Withers.
Chanter, J. Frederick. Chappyngtons, the South Molton organ builders, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, vol. 6, no. 3, (1910) pp.85-86. [John Loosemore, 1633-1681]
Chope, R. Pearse. Chappyngtons, the South Molton organ builders, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, vol. 6, no. 3, (1910) pp.86-87 [John Loosemore, 1633-1681]
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.