[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"BISHOPS-TEIGNTON, a parish in the hundred of Exminster, in the county of Devon, 6 miles to the S.E. of Chudleigh. Teignmouth, 2 miles distant, is its post town. It is situated in a beautiful district near the coast, on the banks of the river Teign, and is intersected by the South Devon railway. The manor was held by the bishops of Exeter, who had a palace here, erected in the reign of Edward III. by Bishop Grandison. There are still remains of this palace near the village. Limestone and marble exist in the parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, of the value of £215, in the patronage of the Rev. W. R. Ogle, the incumbent. The church is in the Anglo-Norman style, and has a fine western entrance. It is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a free school in the village, endowed with about £40 a year, and some other charities producing £12 a year. West Teignmouth formerly formed part of this parish, but is now a separate living in the gift of the Vicar of Bishops-Teignton. The principal residence is Bishops-Teignton Lodge."