[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"BLACK TORRINGTON, a parish and village in the hundred of Black-Torrington, in the county of Devon, 52 miles to the N.W. of Hatherleigh, its post town. The parish is of large extent, comprising an area of 7,200 acres, and is bounded on the N. by the river Torridge. A large part of the female population are employed in the glove trade. The living is a rectory* in the archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter, of the value of £600, derived partly from tithes and partly from 13 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of Lord Poltimore. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome edifice, of the time of Henry VIII., with a fine tower. The Baptists and Bible Christians have chapels, and there is a National school. There is a small charity left by Speccott for the benefit of the poor of this parish jointly with the poor of Holsworthy. Llewellyn Llewellyn is lord of the manor."
"POTHERIDGE, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Black Torrington, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Hatherleigh. It is situated in the vale of the river Torridge, which rises near the Tamar's head. General Monk was born hers in 1608."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003