Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Blackawton 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BLACKAWTON

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

BLACKAUTON, a straggling village of indifferently built houses, on high ground, 5 miles W. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 1449 souls, and 5589 acres of land, including many scattered houses, and the village and chapelry of STREET, on the coast of Start Bay, more than 4 miles S.S.E. of the church, and S.W. of Dartmouth. Here are also small hamlets or assemblages of houses, called Bow, Dryton, East Down, Borlestone, Millcombe, and Woodford. A large fishing village, called Undercliff, near Street, is said to have been destroyed by the encroachments of the sea, many years ago. H. L. Toll, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to W. Dimes, Esq., J. Netherton, Esq., C.Barter, Esq., Mrs. Hayne, and many small freeholders. The barton of Cotterbury has an independent royalty, and was purchased in 1806, by L. Newman, Esq., of Dartmouth. Fuge, now a farm house, was built in 1725, by the late C. Hayne, Esq. Oldstone, the seat of W. Dimes, Esq., is a large mansion, which was for more than wo centuries the seat of the Colwich family. The Parish Church (St. Michael,) is a large antique structure, with a tower and six bells. It is in the early perpendicular style, but most of the windows are modern insertions, and the chancel walls have recently been rebuilt. In the chancel are three cinque-foiled sedilia, and a handsome double piscina. The nave has a good screen and a fine Norman font. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £15. 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £128, is in the patronage of Sir H. P. Seale, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. E. T. Seale, who has a good residence and small glebe. The tithes, which formerly belonged to Tor Abbey, are now held by the trustees of the late Abraham Welland, Esq., and were commuted in 1841, for £739. 6s. 6d. per annum, subject to the vicar's stipend. Street Chapel of Ease, at the south end of the parish, was built about 14 years ago, by subscription, and a grant of £250. It is a neat structure, in the Gothic style, with an embattled tower. There are National Schools and small Weslyan Chapels at Blackauton and Street. The vicar has £8. 12s. a year, left by Wm. Wotton, in 1689, ut of land at Cullumpton. Several rent charges, left by the Rev. Richard Sparkes, in 1699, have been exchanged for £257 three per cent consols. The yearly dividends are distributed in bread among the poor except 30s. for a sermon, and 10s. for the parish clerk.

DIRECTORY


Those marked 2, are at Street; 3, at Hutchley; 4, at Millcombe; and 5, at Cotterbury.

Abbot Richard, gent. Stray Park
Bragg Thomas, surgeon
Dimes Wm. Esq. Oldstone
Grills Wm. corn miller and worsted spinner, Combery
Hambling Wm. B. gun maker and church bell founder
Holditch Mr
Narracott G. school
Perring Nichs. painter & glazier
Pillage Mr Andrew
Pinhey Mr Richd.sen. Millcombe
Pitts Mr Wm.
Press Richard, saddler
Rich Richard, miller, Millcombe
2 Robinson Rev H. V. curate
Seale Rev Edw. Taylor, Vicarage
Underhay Geo. miller, Washwalk

PUBLIC HOUSES.

Coomercial, James Ellis
Dartmouth Inn, Nicholas Wakeman
Forces, Henry B. Oldreive
George Inn, Wm. Hosking
Posts, Eliz. Punchard, Hembro'
2 KIngs Arms, wm. S. Oldreive

BLACKSMITHS.

Ferris George
2 Ferris Henry
Pinhey John
Pullen Thomas
Tippett Jno. Bow

BUTCHERS.

2 Foale Henry
Foale Henry
Foale Philip
2 Hyne Richard
Hyne Richd. jun

CARPENTERS.

Hingston Richd.
Lands Matthew
Langworthy Rt.
2 Moysey Philip
Stabb John
Taylor WM. (wgt)
Tucker John

FARMERS.

(* are Owners.)

Baker Wm. C.
* Came Mattw. & Lambert Andw.
Came Richard
Clark Regnd
Coad Sml. Ford
Coles Nichls. E.

* Cutmore Wm.
Eastley Thomas
5 Ellis Wm.
Edwards Wm.
Ferris H. Woodfd
3* Grant John
2 Goodyear Wm.
Hannaford John
2 Hayman Benj.
2 Hayman Philip
Hellings Thomas
Jellard Rd. Fuge
Luscombe Robt.
Manning David
3 Mumford John
3 Nicholls Jeffery
Oldreive John
* Oldreive Jno. D., Landcombe
Pinhey John
4 Pinhey Richd.
Pinhey Wm.
Pitts John
* Putt John
Soper Richard
Starnger Richd.
* Tozer John L.
5 Webber James

MASONS

Coombe John
Heath Samuel
Wakeham Wm

SHOEMAKERS.

Bellatt John
Hosking Thos.
2 Jeffrey Nathl.
Life John
Pinhey Philip
Watson Wm.
2 Wills Wm.

SHOPKEEPERS

Almond John
4 Burgoyne Wm.
2 Ferris Robert
Hingston Richd.
2 Jeffery Nathl.
Prout John
Stabb John
Tucker Amelia
Tucker Wm.

TAILORS

Foxworthy Roger
2 Oldreive W. C.
Rawle J. Woodfd
Sandford John

POST OFFICE

at W. B. Hamling's. Letters via Dartmouth