"BLACKBOROUGH, 5 miles E.N.E. of Collumpton, is a small parish of 126 souls, and 508A. 1R. 22P. of land, adjoining Kentisbeare, and united with that parish for the support of the poor. It is on the western declivity of the lofty range of hills called Blackdown, and was anciently held by the Boldhay family, and afterwards by the Cobhams and the Bonvilles. The Trustees of the late Lord Egremont are now lords of the manor, owners of nearly all the soil, and patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £4, and in 1831 at £140. The Rev. W.C. Thompson, M.A., is the incumbent, and has 74A. 1R. 11P. of glebe, and resides at Blackborough House, a neat mansion, of Tuscan architecture, built by the late Earl of Egremont, who also erected the present Church, (All Saints) in 1838, at the cost of about £1900. This church is a neat structure, in the early English style, and its tower is crowned by an octagonal spire, which is seen at a great distance; the site being about 700 feet above the level of the sea. The interior is neatly fitted up with 283 sittings all free except twenty. Before the erection of this church, the parishioners used that at Kentisbeare, their old church (Allhallows,) having gone to decay some centuries ago, . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter. For convenience, information relating to the Blackdown Hills area as a whole is given here, though it in fact also is generally reckoned to include in whole or in part: Awliscombe, Broadhembury, Chardstock, Churchstanton, Clayhidon, Combe Raleigh, Cotleigh, Culmstock, Dalwood, Dunkeswell, Hemyock, Honiton, Luppitt, Membury, Monkton, Stockland, Uffculme, Uppottery, and Yarcombe.