Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bovey Tracey - Kelly's Directory 1902 (1892)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bovey Tracey in 1902

Extracted from Kelly's Directory of Devon, 1902, pp. 83-4

by Michael Steer

A copy of the Directory that can be downloaded from https://archive.org/details/kellysdirectoryo00londuoft
Microsoft (MSN) has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.

BOVEY TRACEY is an ancient but extinct borough, and parish with a station on the Moreton Hampstead branch of the Great Western railway, and is 6 miles north-west from Newton Abbot, 4 south-west from Chudleigh and 6 south-east from Moreton Hampstead, in the Mid-division of the county, Teignbridge hundred and petty sessional division, Newton Abbot union and county court district, rural deanery of Moreton, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter. The town, which is lighted with gas from works established in 1879, consists principally of one long street, commencing at the border of the level and barren tract of land known as Bovey Heathfield, and extending a considerable distance up the south-western slope of a high hill. Extensive views of the country are to be obtained from the higher part of the town. Bovey was a borough by prescription, with the style of 'the mayor and freeholders of Bovey Tracey,' its officers including a mayor, bailiff, portreeve, constables and subordinates ; the constables' staves, still preserved in the Town Hall, bear the arms of the lord of the manor. The church of SS. Peter and Paul, originally dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, was erected, according to tradition, in 1170, as an act of penance, by Sir William de Tracy, who took the lead in the assassination of Thomas a Becket, but some wall paintings, discovered in the church in 1857, during the time it was undergoing repair, appeared to indicate that St. Michael was the patron saint: about 150 years after it was built, nearly the whole was destroyed by fire, but was afterwards restored : it is now an edifice in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, two north aisles and a south aisle, parted from the nave by arcades of five bays, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells : the screen was restored in 1887 : on the panels are painted several repetitions of figures which apparently represent the dissensions between the King and St. Thomas a Becket: the pulpit is of stone, elaborately carved and richly decorated in gold and color; in the chancel are altar tombs with canopies to Nicholas Eveleigh, and to Elizeus Hele, who, in 1636, bestowed large estates to 'godly purposes and charitable uses'. The church was restored in 1857-8 at a cost of L3,246, when an organ was placed in the church at a cost of L1,000 : there are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £270, with 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Walter Benjamin Vere-Stead M.A. of Trinity Oollege, Dublin. St. John the Evangelist's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1895 from St. Thomas, Bovey Tracey : the church, erected in 1853 at the expense of the late Rev. and Hon. Charles Leslie Courtenay M.A. vicar of Bovey Tracey 1849-1897, is an edifice in the Gothic style, from the designs of the late Mr. Carpenter, architect, and consists of a beautifully decorated chancel, with sculptured reredos, nave, aisles, organ chamber and a western turret containing 2 bells : all the windows are stained, several being memorials, There are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1895. The living is a vicarage, yearly value L210, in the gift of Keble College, Oxford, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Henry Martyn Wickham. There is also an iron chapel of ease at Heathfield, holding about 60 persons. The Baptist chapel seats about 500 persons ; the Congregational chapel 130, and the Wesleyan Methodist chapel 200 persons. A cemetery was formed in 1889, and is under the control of the parish council. A vestry hall has been erected under the provisions of the Vestry Act. About 250 hands are employed at the very extensive pottery and brick works, at Heathfield, of Messrs. Candy and Co. Limited, where fire bricks, paving bricks, sanitary stone ware, and white and coloured glazed bricks are made. There are three hotels, the principal of which is the 'Dolphin', where conveyances and fishing tickets can be obtained. A market, long disused, and a fair for three days, were granted to Henry Tracey in 1259. The Devon House of Mercy for the Exception of Fallen Women, in this parish, was established in 1861, and formally opened in 1863, the foundation stone of the permanent house having been laid by the late Earl of Devon in 1865 : 90 inmates are received from all parts of the country, and instructed with the view to their establishment in some respectable calling : the institution is supported by voluntary contributions, and is under the care of members of the Clewer (Windsor) Sisterhood ; in connection with this house is the St. Gabriel's Mission for work among the poor, carried on by the same Sisterhood. The chief objects of interest in the immediate locality are the celebrated Haytor Rocks and Granite Quarry, Bottor Rock, Lustleigh Cleave, Horseman's Steps, Becky Fall and the beds of lignite or Bovey coal. Colehays, about 1 miles west, and standing in about 400 acres of park land, is the seat of Mrs. Levett. Parke, the seat of William Robert Hole esq. J.P. is a handsome mansion, erected about 1825, near the site of the ancient seat of the Traceys, of which there are now no remains, and stands in about 60 acres of park land. To the south of Bovey Tracey is Indio, the seat of Mrs. Bentinck. Wolleigh House, the seat of Henry Tanner Ferguson esq. M. Inst. C.E. about one mile north, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, beautifully situated in about 75 acres of land. On January 9, 1646, the town, then the head quarters of Lord Wentworth's brigade, was suddenly attacked by Lieutenant-General Cromwell, with a part of the Parliamentary army, under the command of Sir Thomas Fairfax ; a great many prisoners were made, though a portion of the Royalists escaped during the night. The manor of Bovey was formerly held by the Traceys, Barons of Barnstaple, but is now the property of Mrs. Bentinck. The principal landowners are Mrs. Bentinck, the trustees of the late Captain Levett, William Robert Hole esq. Miss Divett, John Harris esq. Joseph Harris esq. Harry Trelawney Eve esq. M.A., K.C. and Edmund Meek Slatter esq. The soil is light loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and general forage. The area is 7,538 acres of land and 29 of water; rateable value, ^12,400; the population in 1891 was 2,422 and in, 1901 was 2,694. Little Bovey, 11/2 miles south-east; Bradley, 1 mile
south-east; Challabrook, 1 mile south; Wrayland, 3 miles north-west and Brookfield, 3 miles north-west, are; hamlets in this parish. By Local Government Board Order, 16,367, a detached. part of Hennock was transferred to this parish, March 25, 1885.

Sextoness, Mrs. Winsor.

Post, M. 0. & T. 0., T. M. 0., S. B., Express & Parcel, Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office. (Railway Sub- Office. Letters should have R.S.O. South Devon
added.)
Richard Samuel Ladd, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive 315.25 a.m. & 12.45 & 6.25 p.m.; dispatched at 10.35 a.m.- 1.30 and 7.30 p.m.; Sundays, letters dispatched at 7.20 p.m.

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Cemetery, Jonas Parnell, clerk
Fire Brigade, William James Mardon, captain
Police Station, Charles Finch, constable in charge
Devon House of Mercy, The Bishop of Exeter, visitor ; the Archdeacon of Barnstaple, warden ; Rev. Charles- John Penrice B.A. sub-warden ; Rev. Prebendary Harry- Tudor M.A. hon. sec. ; Henry T. Ferguson esq. & E. Harding esq. National Provincial Bank, Exeter, hon. treasurer ; H. Goodwyn L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. hon. medical officer

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Certifying Factory Surgeon for Bovey Tracey & Chudleigh, Henry GoodwynL.R.C.P. & S.Edin. Rowardennan
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Bovey Tracey &. Ilsington Districts, Newton Abbot Union, Murray Babington Stewart M.B. & C.M. Rowardennan
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Bovey District Newton Abbot Union & Assistant Overseer, Jonas Parnell, Milverton
Road Surveyor to the Newton Abbot Rural District Council, John Lysanius Davy, Brookfield
Town Crier, Thomas Bray, Fore street

SCHOOLS.

The Grammar School was founded in 1713, & reconstituted under a new scheme in 1879, when new school premises were erected at the foot of Haytor, about a mile from the village ; Rev. Richard Wellington Menneer M.A. head master
This place contributes 3 members to the Lustleigh School Board
Free National, built in 1868, for 300 children; average attendance, 50 boys ; 90 girls & infants ; William. Westwood, master ; Miss M. Kallaway, mistress
National, Heathfield (mixed), for 67 children; average attendance, 56 ; Miss Eugenie Daw, mistress
British (mixed), built in 1866, for 150 children ; average attendance, 120 ; John Loftus Sing, master
St. John's (infants), built in 1860, for 60 children; average attendance, 20 ; Mrs. E. Hellier, mistress

Railway Station, William Tucker, station master

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Ainger Mrs. Edgemore
Anderson Mrs. Plumley
Austen Mrs. Clarendon
Barlow Miss, Riversleigh
Beaufort Mrs. Frances
Bell Robert, Orchard Terrace
Bennett Henry Raymond, Strelna
Bentinck Mrs. Indio
Blake Rev. Ralph (Congregational), The Manse, St. Mary street
Bowden Miss, Hillside
Bradford Lieut-Col. Oliver John J.P., Welparke
Chadwicke Harry, Chadwycke
Chamberlain Mrs
Chichester Mrs. Church Style
Cowlard Miss, St. John's Cottages
Croker Miss, Cross Cottage
Croker Mrs. Little St. Katherine's
Dadd John Kelly
Divett Miss, Riverside
Eve Harry Trelawney K.C., M.A. Pullabrook
Ferguson Henry Tanner M.Inst.C.B. Wolleigh House
Fox Misses, Heatheredge
Fox-Strangways Mrs. Front House
Frost Dennis Tregrosse, Moorside
Goodwyn Henry, Rowardennan
Gould Alfred Pearce M.B. Ullacombe
Gurney Mrs. Presbury
Halifax Viscount F.S.A. St. Mary's; & 79 Eaton square S W & Brooks's, Athenaeum & Travellers' Clubs, S W London
Harris Joseph, Lower Coombe
Hole William Robert D.L., J.P. Parke
Jones Jeffrey, Chapple
Kane Bernard, Moorland View
Levett Mrs. Colehays
Ley William Henry, Heathfield Terrace
Loveys Miss, Church Hill
Mann William, Heath View
Marsland Miss, St. John's View
Menneer Rev. Richard Wellington M.A. head master. Grammar School
Noad Frederick John, Fore Street
Patteson John, West Teign
Payne Rev. William Henry (Baptist), Rowle house
Penriee Rev. Charles John B.A.(curate & sub-warden of the Devon House of Mercy), Sub-Warden's Lodge
Philpott Misses, Bradley
Richards Mrs. Dean Parke
Ridley Miss, St. John's Cottages
Robinson William, Fore Street
Slatter Edmund Meek, Hawkmoor
Sparkes William Webber, View-field
Steuart Murray Babington M.B. Rowardennan
Tracey Mrs
Vaughan Rev. Reginald Arthur B.A. (curate of St. Peter & St. Paul), Bell house
Vere-Stead Rev. Walter Benjamin M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Vicary William J.P. Stonelands
Warner Misses, The Retreat
Westwood William, Town Hall Place
Wickham Rev. Henry Martyn (vicar of St. John's the Evangelist)
Wonnacott Rev. Wm. Henry (curate of St. John's)
Yeo Richard Fletcher, The Moorlands

COMMERCIAL.

Abbott Charles, coal dealer
Aggett Sarah Jane (Miss),shopkeeper, Mary Street
Aggett William & Son, builders, undertakers & paperhangers, Fore Street
Aggett Wm. refreshment rooms, Fore Street
Alford William, ladies' & gents' tailor, Fore Street
Amery Charles, farmer, Kelly
Archer Alfred, shopkeeper, Heathfield
Baker F. organist & choirmaster of Parish Church
Beer John George, Railway Hotel posting house, & sec. to the Gas Company Limited
Bell Robert M.E.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, Orchard Terrace
Bond George, cricket, fishing, shooting & tourists' hand- stitched boot manufacturer. Fore Street
Bovey Tracey Fire Brigade (William James Mardon, captain)
Bovey Tracey Gas Co. Limited (J. G. Beer, sec)
Bovey Pottery Co. Limited (The), general earthenware manufacturers
Bovey William, butcher, Station Road
Bowden & Son, smiths & implement makers, East street
Bray Thos. Towncrier & bill poster.Fore Street
Candy & Co. Limited (J. M. Limpus, manager), manufacturers of stoneware sewerage pipes & vitrified paving bricks
Cann Thomas, photographer, tobacconist, picture frame maker ; schools & colleges waited on. Fore Street
Capital & CountiesBank Limited (subbranch) (open fridays 10 to 2); draw on head office, 39 Threadneedle Street, London E
Carpenter James, news agent, Fore Street
Castle James, farmer, Bradley
Cemetery (Jonas Parnell, clerk to the burial board)
Cleave Alfred, bricklayer & carpenter, Fore Street
Coniam William Hy, coal & wood dlr
Constitutional Club (Fred Chilvers caretaker),
Creese Jane (Mrs.), dress ma. East Street
Croot William, grocer, Town Hall Place
Cumming Bros, tool manufacturers & hardware merchants
Dadd Wm. Amery, farmer, Hawksmoor
Davie Silas Hiscott, builder
Davy John Lysanias, road surveyor to the Newton Abbot Rural District Council, Brookfield
Dayment John & Thomas, farmers, Luscombe
Daymond Constance (Mrs.), dress maker, Fore Street
Daymond Ephraim, draper & grocer
Daymond Mabel (Mrs.), dress maker, Orchard Terrace
Devon & Cornwall Banking Co. Lim. (sub-branch) (E. H. Webb, mgr.) (open Thursdays from 10.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.), Fore Street; draw on Barclay & Co. Limited, London E C
Devon House of Mercy (The Archdeacon of Barnstaple, warden ; Eve Charles John Penrice B.A. sub-warden, E. Harding esq. & H. T. Ferguson esq. hon. treas. ; H. Goodwyn L.B.C.P. & S.Edin. hon. physician; Rev. Prebendary Harry Tudor M.A. hon. sec. ; Sister Bertha, sister superior)
Edwards George, saddler, Fore Street
Edwards George, jun. saddler, Brookfield
Ellis Andrew, outfitter, Town Hall Place
Ellicott George, Bell Inn ; good accommodation for bicylists & tourists, Fore street
Endacott Thos. market gardnr.Mary Street
Endacott William, baker, Fore Street
Evans John Richard, farmer. Frost
Farnes Kate (Mrs.), midwife, Fore Street
Fletcher Frank, boot maker, Fore Street
Fry Albert, manager of Gas works
Fry George, farmer, Little Bovey
Gale Emmeline (Miss), dress ma. Pottery
Gale Samuel Daymond, draper, Fore Street
Gale Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Pottery
Gilley John, farmer, Lower Brimley
Godsland Ambrose, baker. Fore Street
Goodwyn Henry L.R.C.P.& S. Edin. certifying factory surgeon for Bovey Tracey & Chudleigh, Rowardennan
Gould Alfred Pearce M.B., M.S., F.R.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon, Ullacombe
Grammar School (Rev. Richard Wellington Menneer M.A. head master)
Hamlin William, butcher, Fore Street
Harris John, boot maker, Mary Street
Harris Mary (Mrs.), apartments, Station Road
Harris Reuben, boot ma. Town Hall Place
Harvey Henry, farmer, Stickwick
Hatch Thomas, farmer, Langaller
Hawkridge Wm. tailor, Town Hall Place
Hayman Kate (Miss), dress ma. East Street
Hayman William, shopkeeper, East Street
Hearn Henry, farmer, Wifford
Heath Edwin, shopkeeper. East Street
Heath William Henry, dairyman, wood & general merchant, Mary Street
Hellier & Lee, Dolphin family & commercial hotel & posting house ; posting in all its branches ; best route over Dartmoor hills, livery stables ; also proprietors of the Moorland Hotel, situated ten minutes walk from Haytor Rocks
Helyer & Barkell, bakers, Mary Street
Hocking John, farmer, Reeves Coombe
Holmes Frederick George, chemist & druggist, Fore Street
Jervis William, farmer, Soldridge
Kenwood Thomas, apartments, Choirhouse, Heathfield
Ladd Richard Samuel, bookseller & stationer, Post Office. Fore Street
Langworthy Geo. farmr. Middle Combe
Langworthy Lewis, farmer, Little Bovey
Lavis Lucy (Mrs.), dress maker, Fore Street
Lavis Jn. King of Prussia P. H. Fore Street
Leaker William, baker, Station Road & Fore street
Loveys Anna (Mrs.), apartments, Summerfield
Mann William & Sons,butchers,Fore Street
Mardon William James Thomas R.P.C. furnishing & general ironmonger. Fore Street
Mardon George, grocer, Fore Street
Martin Maud (Miss), dress maker, Vine cottage
May Stephen, watch maker. Fore Street
May Walter, dairyman, Atway
Moore Alfred, smith, Station Road
Mountford Caroline (Mrs.), apartments, Station Road
Mounford George, jun. painter, Fore st
Mountford Lewis, grocer & draper, Heathfield
Parker Jn. apartments, Brookfield House
Parnell Jonas, assistant overseer, clerk to the burial board & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Bovey district of Newton Union, Milverton
Parr Robert, farmer, Bullaton
Perrum John Barry, painter & house decorator, Norfolk Lodge
Perryman Jsph. chimney swpr. Fore Street
Peters Percy William, grocer, wine & spirit merchant, Fore Street
Pethybridge John, farmer, Whistlewell
Philp John, farmer, Ullacombe
Pinsent Henry, farmer, Whitstone
Prowse Alfred, haulier, Orchard Terrace
Railway Hotel (Jn. Geo. Beer, propr) Reading Rooms (Josiah Ellis, sec)
Readstone James, jobbing gardener, South Vieiw
Reddacliffe John, farmer, Southbrook
Retallick James, manager for Whiteway & Ball, coal merchants, Fore Street
Reynolds Frederick, tailor, Fore Street
Rice William, farmer, Wreyland
Rice Mark, baker, confectioner & grocer etc. Brookfield
Rich John, haulier
Rowe Henry, draper, Fore Street
Rowe Wm. Kernick. lodging ho. Fore Street
St. Gabriel's Mission House (Sister Lucy Edith, sister in charge)
Sercombe Sarah Ann (Mrs.), draper, Fore Street
Sercombe William, saddler & harness maker, Fore Street
Sparke Henry, Union family & commercial hotel; good accommodation for visitors, ten minutes from station, Fore Street
Spicer Ellen (Miss), draper, Brookfld
Squires Saml. sen. farmer, Brookfield
Stamp Tom, farmer, Forder
Standfast & New, aparts. Sunny Valley
Steuart Murray Babington M.B. & C.M.Edin. surgeon, 4; medical officer & public vaccinator, Bovey Tracey & Ilsington districts, Newton Abbot) Union, Rowardennan
Strong Hannah (Mrs.), apartments, Hillsborough
Thurston Henry, apartments, Bank Side
Tribble John Edwin, farmer, Bradley
Trott John James, farmer, FiveWyche
Tucker Jabez & George, wheelwrights, East Street
Tulley Thomas, grocer
Turner & Daymond, drapers & grocrs. Station Road
Turner James, builder, Station Road
Underdown Eliza (Mrs.), apartments; within easy distance of Haytor & Shaptor Rocks ; visitors boarded. Blenheim house is situated in its own grounds
Upham Samuel, hair dresser, Fore Street
Walling Eliza (Mrs.), aprtmnts.Bell House
Walling John, insurance agt. Mary Street
Warner Misses (The), girls' preparatory school, The Retreat
Warner William, engraver, The Retreat
Webber John, caretaker of cemetery, Fore Street
Welsford Thos. S; Hy. bakers & grocers
Westaway Matilda (Mrs.), poulterer
Whiteway & Ball, coal merchants
Wilcocks Edward Bennett, landowner & farmer, Woodlands
Willcox Mary & Carrie (Misses), dress makers. Fore Street
Willcox George (Mrs.), apartments, Fore Street
Wilts & Dorset Banking Co. Limited (agency) (Herbert Knight, manager), open on fri. from 2.30 to 5 p.m. ; draw on London & Westminster Bank Limited, London E C
Winsor John, stone mason, Fore Street
Wreford Alfred, farmer, Elsford
Wyatt Eliza (Mrs.), miller (water), Town Mills