[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"BOW, (or Nymet-tracey), a parish in the hundred of North Tawton with Winkley, in the county of Devon, 7 miles to the W. of Crediton, its post town, and 14 miles to the N.W. of Exeter. It is situated on a small stream, a branch of the river Taw, and was formerly a market town. The grant of a market and a fair was obtained of Henry III. in 1258, by the Traceys, who then held the manor. In 1646 a body of royalists was surprised here by Cromwell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, of the value with that of Broad Nymet, of £533, in the patronage of F. Vandermeulen, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Here is a chapel belonging to the Independents, and a free school for ten children, founded in 1682 by John Gould, and endowed with £8 a year. There are other charitable endowments, worth about £60 per annum.