"BRADFORD, in the Torridge valley, 8 miles W. by N. of Hatherleigh, is a village and parish containing 530 souls, and 3468 acres of land. The manor of Bradford, anciently held by the Dabernon and other families, was sold by the late Geo. Cary, Esq., to Messrs. Vivian, Grylls, and Kendall, bankers, of Helston. Dunsland, a large and ancient mansion, with an estate of about 1000 acres, is the seat and property of W.H.B. Coham, Esq., who is also lord of the manor of Lashbrook. Dunsland was successively held by the Cadiho, Arscott, and Bickford families. . . . Hengescott, formerly belonged to a family of that name, and is now the property of the Earl of Stanhope. Bovacott is the residence of L.R. Heysett, Esq., who also owns Gidcott, where there was anciently a chapel, and the lands at Flares and Rightdown. Several smaller freeholders have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and contains several neat monuments. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
In Black Torrington Hundred in the Archdeaconry of Totnes.