"BRADNINCH is a decayed borough and market town, upon a pleasant eminence, on the western side of Culm valley, 3 miles S.S.W. of Collumpton, 9 miles N.N.E. of Exeter, and about a mile W. of the Hele Station on the Bristol and Exeter Railway, near the small river Culm. Its parish, which is co-extensive with the borough, comprises 4212A. 1R. 15P. of land, and had 1714 inhabitants in 1841, but they have now increased to about 2000. . . . The town consists chiefly of one long, irregular street, and has suffered several times by large fires, arising from the thatched roofs of its houses, most of which have lately judiciously been abandoned for slated roofs. In 1665, the Guildhall, the prison, the borough charters, and a great number of houses, were destroyed by fire. The town has been much improved during the present century; and a new Guildhall, with a prison under it, was built in 1835. . . . The Church (St. Dionysius,) is a fine structure, in the later perpendicular style, and has recently been repaired and beautified, at the cost of about £1100. . . . The Particular Baptists and the Wesleyans have chapels here; and the town has a National School, for children of both sexes. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.