Hide

hide
Hide

BRATTON CLOVELLY

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Neil Stanton

BRATTON CLOVELLY, a small village, on a bold eminence, 8 miles W.S.W. of Okehampton, has in its parish 870 inhabitants, and 8316A of land, including 2000A. of moorland; the hamlets of Brockscombe, Burnaby, and Burrow, and many scattered. houses. The soil belongs to J. G. Newton, Esq, J. M. Woollcombe, Esq., Sir William Molesworth, S. Wreford, Esq., Rev. H. Coham, S. C. Hamlyn, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church is a large and handsome structure, in the early decorated. style, with a tower and six bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £21. 5s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £468, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Budge, B.A., who has a good old residence, and 161A. 1R. 27P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1845, for £460 per annum. The Barton was long the seat of the ancient family of Burnaby

Baker Wm. beer seller
Budge Rev Edward, B.A., Rectory
Bevan Richard, mason
Hortop Wm. corn miller
Palmer John,vict. Royal Oak
Phear Walter, saddler, and Mr John
Small John, shoemaker
Tucker John, vict. Pack Horse

BLACKSMITHS
Pyne John
Roberts Thomas
CARPENTERS
Dawe John
Guy Wm.
Hortop Wm.wheelgt

FARMERS
(* are Owners)

*Abell Wm.
*Baker Wm.
*Butler John
*Brown W. R.
Brown Thomas
Coy James
Down John
Hacker Edward
*Ham Philip
Hearn Henry
Higgadon Thomas
*Hilson Thomas
Hortop James
Jackman John
Jackman Roger
Jackson Wm.
Kennard Richard
Kennard Nicholas
Kennard Wm.
Kerslake John
Lovell John
Luxton Henry
Martyn John
Palmer Nicholas
*Phear Samuel
Phear Wm.
Rice George
Rice John
Rice Charlotte
Rich John
Rundle Jane
Shopland Thomas
Spear Wm.
Taylor James
*Tickle Wm.
Tucker John
Westlake Richard
Woolridge Wm.

SHOPKEEPERS
Brown Peter
Smallacombe Roger

TAILORS
Burd Thomas
Palmer Nicholas
Phear James

Brian Randell, 30 Aug 2003