Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bratton Fleming 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BRATTON FLEMING

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

BRATTON FLEMING, a pleasant village, on an acclivity 6½ miles E.N.E. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 708 souls, and 3940 acres of land, rising in a bold range of hills from two rivulets, and including many scattered farm-houses. It anciently belonged to the Fleming family, and afterwards to the Dillons. The latter sold the manor in the reign of Jas. I., to an ancestor of its present owner, Sir Arthur Chichester, Bart. Part of the parish belongs to Sir P.F.P. Acland, G.B. Kingdon, Esq., and a few smaller owners. Chimwell, the ancient seat of the Flemings and Dillons, is now a farm-house. The Church (St. Peter,) is a neat structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 15s. 5d., and in 1831 at £631, is in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. H.S. Pinder, M.A., who has 150 acres of glebe, and a large and handsome Rectory House, recently erected. Here is a National School and a small Baptist Chapel; and a cattle fair is held in the village on August 19th.

Brownscombe Wm. vict. White Hart
Champ John, shopkeeper
Conibear Thomas, wheelwright
Darch Thomas, saddler
Gill John, smith; and Wm. wheelgt
Heal John & Mogridge Jno. shoemks
Hunt Humphrey, beerseller
Huxtable Henry, wheelwright
Jerman Wm. vict. Stag's Head
Kingdon James, carrier
Livercombe Wm. blacksmith
Pinder Rev. H.S., M.A., Rectory

FARMERS.

Baker John || Beard Thomas, Stowfd
Britton John || Burge John
Cottle James || Crang Wm.
Daniel Joseph, Oxton Park
Elworthy Richard || Gill John
Gill Jacob || Gill Wm.
Holloway Wm. || Hunt Richard
Hunt Wm. || Hunt Wm. Palmer
Huxtable Anthony || Isaac John
Jerman William, Mills
Jones Wm. || Kingdon John
Mogridge Thos. || Pugsley Anthony
Radmore John || Ridd John
Ridd Wm., Chimwell
Ridd Thomas || Smith James
Snell Thomas || Tamlyn Henry
Tamlyn James || Tamlyn Wm.
Yandell Wm., Sprecott

Brian Randell, 27 Oct 1996