[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"BRAUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Braunton, in the county of Devon, 5 miles to the W. of Barnstaple, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Bristol anal, near the mouth of the navigable river Taw, and contains a tract of very rich land, which was reclaimed from the sea. There are two lighthouses in the parish, erected in 1820 for the guidance of vessels over the bar at the entrance of the Taw. They stand about 300 yards apart, and the lights, which are fixed, are visible, one at the distance of 11, and the other of 14, miles. Manganese has been found in this district. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, of the value of £450, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Brannock, and contains a monumental brass of the year 1548. The Independents have a chapel here, and there is an endowed free school, with a revenue of £75 per annum, and some other charities producing about £20 a year. Remains of six ancient chapels are found in Braunton."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003