[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"BRENDON, a parish in the hundred of Sherwill, in the county of Devon, 15 miles to the E. of Ilfracombe. Lynton is its post town. It lies on the border of Somersetshire, near the coast of the Bristol Channel, on the banks of the river Lyn, which takes its rise on Exmoor, and falls into the Bristol Channel near Lynton. There is much wild and striking scenery along the course of this river. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, of the value of £200, in the patronage of F. W. Knight, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Brendon. The village is a meet for the North Devon hounds."