A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BRENTOR, a parish in the hundred of TAVISTOCK, county of DEVON, 4 miles (N.) from Tavistock, containing 151 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, occupies the summit of a lofty isolated rocky eminence, and serves as a land-mark for vessels entering Plymouth harbour. The small river Lid runs through this parish, in which there is also a fine sheet of water, called Stowford lake. Here are mines of manganese.