"BRIDESTOWE, a neat and improving village, in a pleasant valley near Dartmoor, six miles S.W. of Okehampton, has in its parish 1128 souls, and 5661 acres of land, including Coombe-Ball, Watergate, Fernworthy, Bidlake, many scattered houses, and a large tract of moorland hills, in which are the lead and copper mines of Wheal-Mary, Wheal-Newton, &c. The manors and their resident owners are, Cobham-Wick and Blatchford, J.G. Newton, Esq.; and Leaford, S.C. Hamlyn, Esq.; but J.M. Woollcombe, Esq., the Rev. J. Woollcombe, and many smaller owners, have estates in this parish. Millaton, a handsome mansion, with tasteful grounds, is the seat of J.G. Newton, Esq., . . . Leawood, the seat of S.C. Hamlyn, Esq., is a fine old mansion, which was long the seat of the Calmady family. . . . The Church (St. Bridget,) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and six bells, and several neat monuments. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £32. 17s. 11d., and in 1831 at £513, with the curacy of Sourton annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. H. Howell, who built the present large and handsome Rectory House, and has 70A. of glebe, and the manor of Bridestowe Sanctuary. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.