A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BRIDGE-RULE, a parish comprising East Rule in the hundred of BLACK-TORRINGTON, county of DEVON, and West Rule in the hundred of STRATTON, county of CORNWALL, 4½ miles (W.) from Holsworthy, containing 436 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £14, endowed with £SOO private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. T. H. Kingdon. The river Tamar flows past this place, over which there is a bridge; and from this bridge, together with the manor having been held by Ruald, or Reginald, soon after the Conquest, Bridge- Rule derives its name. The church stands in that part of the parish which is in Devonshire: the part that is in Cornwall is intersected by the Bude and Launceston canal.