"BRIXHAM, a flourishing market town, sea-port, and extensive fishing station, is delightfully situated on the southern projecting point of Torbay, and is in two parts, called Upper and Lower Brixham; the former of which extends in a long straggling street, more than 1½ mile south of Lower Brixham, or Brixham Quay. . . . Brixham is said to have the largest fishery in England. More than 270 sail of vessels, comprising 20,000 tons of shipping, and employing about 1600 seamen, belong to the port, and a large number of them are engaged in the fishing trade. . . . The District Church at Lower Brixham was built by subscription, as a chapel of ease, about 1820. it is a plain cemented building, with galleries, an organ, and a turret, containing a bell and clock. It has been lately constituted a perpetual curacy, valued at £107, in the patronage of the vicar, and incumbency of the Rev. J.R. Hogg, B.A. Here is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1801, at the cost of about £1200: a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1816, at the cost of £2000; and an Independent Chapel, erected in 1843, at the expense of about £1000. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
The parish covers Lower Brixham, in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. It was divided off from Brixham St Mary, the ancient parish of Brixham, in 1828.
Note: Information relating to Brixham in general is given just in the Brixham St Mary pages.