"NYMET, (BROAD) on one of the tributary streams of the river Taw, 8 ½ miles W. of Crediton, is a small parish, which contains only 50 inhabitants, and 451 acres of land; and until lately, it claimed exemption from county and highway rates, but a recent decision in the Court of the Exchequer declared it liable to both. It pays church and poor rates, &c., to North Tawton, its small antique church having long been used as a lumber room. Its sinecure rectory, valued in K.B. at £2. 4s. 2d., and in 1821 at £48, is in the same patronage and incumbency as Bow, or Nymet-Tracey. The manor anciently belonged to the family of De Brode Nymet, and is now nearly all one farm, belonging to Mr. Rd. Dunning, and occupied by Thos. Prickman." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Peskett: There are no registers. (Both Bow and North Tawton registers include entries for Broad Nymet.)
Section on Broad Nymet from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broad Nymet to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broad Nymet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Carbonnell, Barbara M.H. and Wauton, M. Thirteen Centuries in Bow alias Nymet Tracey with Broadnymet, James townsend (1949) 57p., plates : ill,map. [DFHS Library]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS702009 (Lat/Lon: 50.79309, -3.843002), Broad Nymet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)