"BROADHEMBURY, a sequestered village, picturesquely seated among the hills, about 6 miles E.S.E. of Collumpton, and N.W. of Honiton, has in its parish 851 souls and 6155 acres of land, including the scattered hamlets of Collaton, Luton, Dulford, and Kerswell, extending to within 3 miles of Collumpton. . . . The manor, anciently held by the noble family of Torrington, and afterwards by Dunkeswell Abbey, was purchased by Edw. Drewe, sergeant at law to Queen Elizabeth. Edw. Simcoe Drewe, Esq., is now lord of the manor and owner of two-thirds of the parish. He has a handsome seat here, called the Grange, built about 1610, but modernised and improved some years ago. B. Walrond, Esq., of Dulford House, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. Kerswell or Carswell hamlet has about 150 inhabitants, and an Independent Chapel. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.