A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BROADHEMBURY, a parish (formerly a market town) in the hundred of HAYRIDGE, county of DEVON, 5 miles (N. W.) from Honiton, containing 892 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £16. 17., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The manor, formerly belonged to the abbot of Dunkeswell, who obtained for it the grant of a market and fair; the former has long been discontinued, but the latter is still held for cattle on the 30th of November. At the village of Carswell, in this parish, was a small monastery, subordinate to the priory of Montacute. In 1725, the Rev. John Burrough gave £40 for the further support of a schoolmaster, the interest on which, together with £10 a year paid out of the great tithes of Awliscombe, is appropriated to the instruction of twenty children. The Rev. Augustus Montague Toplady, the celebrated defender of the Calvinistic principles of the church of England (whose works were collected together, after his death, in 6 vols. 8vo.), was vicar of this parish.