"BRUSHFORD, a small parish in the Taw valley, 5 miles S. by W. of Chulmleigh, has only 144 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, nearly all the property, and in the occupation of the Luxton family, to whom it has belonged since the reign of Elizabeth, previous to which the manor and tithes belonged to Hartland Abbey. The Church (St. Mary,) is a small structure, with a tower and three bells. George Luxton, Esq., is impropiator of the tithes and patron of the perpetual curacy, valued at £51, and now held by the Rev. John Luxton, B.A." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A Parish in North Tawton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple and the the Diocese of Exeter.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]