Hide

hide
Hide

BUCKLAND FILLEIGH

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

BUCKLAND-FILLEIGH is a village and parish, 6½ miles W.N.W. of Hatherleigh, containing 275 souls, and 3037 acres of land, nearly all the property of Lord Ashburton and Lord Clinton, the former of whom owns the manor of Buckland-Filleigh, and has a pleasant seat here, formerly the residence of the Filleigh and Fortescue families. Lord Clinton owns the manor and barton of Hartleigh, by inheritance from the Rolles. This estate includes part of Heanton deer park. The Church (St. Mary,) is a beautiful little structure, standing close to Lord Ashburton's mansion, and containing several handsome monuments of the Fortescue family. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11.16s. 0 ½d., and in 1831 at £238, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Stephen Nosworthy, B.A., who has a good residence, and 87A. 3R. 37P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £210 per annum. The poor have the interest of £20, left by the Rev. Wm. Walter and another donor.

Lord Ashburton, Buckland House, (and The Grange, Hants.)
Nosworthy Rev Stphn., B.A., Rectory
Braund John, carpenter
Gilbert Rd. parish clerk and tailor
Martin James, blacksmith and vict., Ashburton Arms
Nollys James E., land steward
Vanstone James, machine maker

FARMERS.

Crocker Hugh
Heard Samuel
Hooper Wm.
Lane James
Reddeway J.
Risdon James
Piper John
Walsh Thos.
Warmington Jno.
Whitelock Hy.

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1996