Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
BULKWORTHY. St. Michael. The church [plate 45a] consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, and bell turret with two bells. The church is said to have been built by Sir William Hankford, Chief Justice of the King's Bench 1414-22, as formerly appeared by an inscription on the window. (For Sir William Hankford see entry on Monkleigh.) The eastern part of the nave and the chancel is divided from the aisle by two arches, the western by a wall of great thickness, pierced with a curious opening like a window; from the position it does not seem likely to have been a squint. There is not much of interest in the church except the font and the pulpit. The former is circular with cable moulding, the latter [plate 45b] is carved with the emblems of the Crucifixion, St. Peter weeping, and the Cock crowing, the Angel rolling away the stone from the Sepulchre, and our Lord's Resurrection. On the pulpit is the following inscription:- In memory of William Newcome of Hankford who died December the 15th 1854, aged 59 years. In life respected, in death regretted. This pulpit was erected in affectionate remembrance by his four sons, William, Henry, James, and Octavius.
Over the porch is a parvise entered by an outside staircase.
The registers date: baptisms, 1709; marriages, 1829; burials, 1724.