"BURLESCOMBE, a pleasant village, near the Bristol and Exeter Railway, 8½ miles E.N.E. of Tiverton, and 5 miles S.W. of Wellington, has in its parish 958 souls, and 3767 acres of land, divided into the Town tithing, and Appledore, Westleigh, and Ayshford tithings and hamlets. The three latter comprise 2600 acres and are in Halberton Hundred. The parish is hilly, and abounds in limestone. It extends to the borders of Somerset, and is crossed by the Grand Western Canal. In 1841, Appledore had 195, and Westleigh 323 inhabitants. . . . The manors of Burlescombe, Ayshford, and Westleigh, formerly belonged to the Claville and Ayshford families, and are now held by Edward Ayshford Sanford, Esq.; but a great part of the parish belongs to the heirs of the late Sir Wm. Follett, R.H. Clarke, Esq., Henry Dunsford, Esq., and other freeholders. The Church (St Mary,) is a fine antique structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . There is a small ancient chapel of ease at Ayshford, and a Wesleyan chapel at Westleigh. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Part in Bampton Hundred, part in Halberton Hundred, in the Archdeaconry of Exeter. Peskett: Westleigh and Appledore in this parish need to be distinguished from similarly-named places in North Devon.