[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"BURLESCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, but extending also into the hundred of Halberton, in the county of Devon, 5 miles to the S.W. of Wellington. Tiverton is its post town. It lies on the borders of Somersetshire, in a hilly district near Blackdown, and is intersected by the Grand Western canal. The Bristol and Exeter railway passes near this place. The parish contains the tythings of Appledore, Ashford, and Westleigh. Canonsleigh is so named as the site of a priory founded in the 12th century and afterwards converted into an abbey, which flourished till the Dissolution, and was valued at £203. There are extensive quarries of limestone, and a mineral spring of a like character to the Harrogate waters. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £255, in the patronage of E. A. Sandford, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It is in the perpendicular style, and contains a carved screen and several ancient family monuments. Aysford Court, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Aysfords, who held the manor, now belonging to E. A. Sandford, Esq."
"APPLEDORE, a tything in the parish of Burlescombe, hundreds of Bampton and Halberton, in the county of Devon, 7 miles to the E. of Tiverton. It is situated near the river Culm, on the borders of Somersetshire, and the Great Western railway and the Western canal pass within a short distance of it."
"WESTLEIGH, a hamlet in the parish of Burlescombe, county Devon, 7 miles N.E. of Collumpton."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003