"CADBURY, a small village and parish, on the declivities and crown of a bold eminence, 6½ miles N.E. of Crediton, and S.S.W. of Tiverton, contains 251 souls and about 2000 acres of land. . . . On the crown of a lofty hill is an ancient Entrenchment, called Cadbury Castle, commanding extensive views over the surrounding country and the coast. . . . Mrs. Fursdon is lady of the manor, and has a pleasant seat here, called Fursdon House, with finely wooded grounds; but part of the parish belongs to Messrs. Turner, Kemp, and Townsend, and a few smaller freeholders. The Church (St. Michael,) is a substantial fabric, of the 15th century, with a tower and four bells, and contains a Norman font. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £9. 4s. 4d., and in 1831 at £175, is endowed with part of the great tithes, and is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. N.F. Lightfoot, M.A. who has about six acres of glebe, and a good residence, which was considerably enlarged in 1846, at the cost of nearly £900. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Cadbury, St Michael Al Angels Memorial Inscriptions Index. G.M. Project. C.C.C. Community Programme (1986). [SoG Library DE/M17]
Parish Registers going back to 1756 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1762, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1606, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1606-1837, and Marriages 1606-1836.
Chard, T.D. Vicars of Cadbury, Devon, from the year 1244. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 7:7, (1913) pp.244-245. [Transcript]
C., T.D. and Chope, R. Pearse. Appointing churchwardens at Cadbury. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 14:3, (1926) pp.107-108. [Obscurities in vestry records explained.]
Deanery Of Cadbury - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 And Burials 1813-1837, CD060, Exeter, Devon FHS (2014). [Brampford Speke Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1840; Cadbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Cadeleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1810-1837; Cheriton Fitzpaine Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Colebrooke Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Crediton Presbyterian Chapel Bur: 1826-1837; Crediton Bapt: 1813-1843 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Down St Mary Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1770-1837; Kennerleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Morchard Bishop Bapt: 1813-1837 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Nether Exe Bapt: 1814-1851 Mar: 1773-1807 Bur: 1813-1856; Newton St. Cyres Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1840; Poughill Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1838 Bur: 1770-1837; Sandford Bapt: 1813-1838 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Shobrooke Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Stockleigh English Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Stockleigh Pomeroy Bapt: 1813-1843 Mar: 1752-1837 Bur: 1813-1851; Thorverton Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1839 Bur: 1813-1837; Upton Hellions Bapt: 1813-1842 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1678-1929; Upton Pyne Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1838 Bur: 1800-1837.]
Section on Cadbury from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cadbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cadbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Fursdon, David. Fursdon: home of the Fursdon family. [Cadbury]: [D.Fursdon] (1984) 24p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - p728.8/CAD/FUR]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS910049 (Lat/Lon: 50.833336, -3.549202), Cadbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Details from the War Memorial, provided by Emily Hollins.
Cadbury contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.