Vicars of Cadbury, Devon, from the year 1244
Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries vol. VII, (1912-1913), Exeter: James G. Commin. 1913, pp 244-245.
Prepared by Michael Steer
Cadbury’s Church of St Michael was in existence by 1163 when it was given by William FitzRalph and his wife Aldreda to the Priory of St Nicholas in Exeter. The gift was ratified by Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. The first known vicar was Everard in 1244, but the most remarkable was Rev RF Coleridge, who served the parish for over half a century, from 1855-1906. He is commemorated by a plaque in the belfry. The article, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
Note 170. VICARS OF CADBURY, DEVON, FROM THE YEAR 1244.
Everard — the first met with — from the Cartulary of S.
Nicholas Priory, circa 1244.
Peter de Werre — July 6th, 1268.
Nicholas — Vicar several years, dates unknown.
John de Broughton— institution not recorded.
Thomas de Cordyngton — Sept. 19th, 1333.
Robert de Tyeford — Sept. i6th 7 1349.
John de Puntynton — May 2nd, 1350.
John Burghe — institution not known.
John Kennewode — July 23rd, 1426.
William Preston — May 7th, 143 1.
John Myller — Feb. 26th, 1440.
Stephen Caryleton — Oct. 25th, 1450.
Stephen Cowlyng — May 13th, 1452.
Thomas Chalvedon — Oct. 30th, 1463.
John Jones — July 23rd, 1463 (?)
Edmund Hage — instit. unrecorded.
John Hope — June 22nd, 1492.
John Moyle — date unknown.
John Watts — Nov. 24th, 1507.
Edward Higgs — April 24th, 1507(?)
John Connor — Feb. 9th, 1518.
John Garrett — Dec. 20th, 1531.
William Adams —
Walter Toker— Feb. 7th, 1588. Patron: Q. Elizabeth.
Walter Lowther — July 7th, 1597.
James Bradford — May 9th, 1600.
Dennis Prideaux — also Rector of Lympstone and Bishops Morchard.
Robert Snow — March 21st, 1640.
Robert Haycroft — March 25th, 1641; re-admitted March
John Major — May 15th, 1669.
John Williams — Dec. 18th, 1705.
Richard Maunder — July 13th, 1709.
Thomas Wood — July 14th, 1739 (also Rector of Bampton.)
Charles Luscombe — Aug. 12th, 1786.
Christopher Bird wood — April 5th, 1802.
Nicholas Francis Lightfoot — May 26th, 1846. (By him
is reported the loss of all the Parish Registers prior to 1762.)
Frederick John Coleridge — 1855.
George Wynne — 1905.
Thomas Diggle Chard — April 9th, 1912.
T. D. Chard, Vicar of Cadbury.