"CALVERLEIGH, 2 miles W.N.W. of Tiverton, is a small parish, containing only 81 souls and 501 acres of land, all the property of Joseph Chichester Nagle, of Calverleigh House, a large mansion built in 1844-'5, in a small, well-wooded park. The manor was purchased by the late Joseph Nagle, of Viscount Vane, and was anciently held by the Calwodelie family. The Church (St. Mary,) is a small fabric, with a tower and three bells, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £184, is in the patronage of G.W. Owen, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. W. Owen, of Loxbear. The poor have an annuity of 18s. left by Humphrey Brook, and four of the poor parishioners have 5s. each yearly from Shorland's Charity. Wm. Downing, farmer, Hill Farm; Wm. Manley, church clerk; and Jas. Woolway, tailor." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Calwoodleigh. A parish in Tiverton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.