Kelly's Directory Devonshire 1935
Transcribed by Deborah Carmichael
Challacombe is a parish and village on the borders of Somersetshire, about 4 miles north-east facing from Bratton Fleming station on the Southern railway branch from Barnstaple to Lynton, 11 north-east from Barnstaple and 14 south-east from Ilfracombe, in the Barnstaple division of the county court district of Barnstaple, hundred and rural deanery of Sherwill, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower containing 4 bells, and in 1874 was thoroughly restored at a cost of 400 pound, when the stained east window was inserted and a handsome rerdos of Caen stone was erected: there are 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1676. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 274 stone, with residence and 58 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Fortescue M.C., D.L., J.P. and held since 1929 by the Rev. Alfred Constantine Hulbert, of Chichester College. There is a chapel for Methodists. Earl Fortescue M.C., D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light loam on rock. The chief crops are pasture and oats, with a little barley and wheat. The area is 5,499 acres; the population in 1931 was 181.
Post, T T.E.D. Office. Letters through Bratton Fleming, Parracombe nearest M.C. office.
Hulbert Rev Alfred Constantine (rector) Rectory
Marked * farm 150 acres or over *Antell Jn. farmer, Twitchen
*Huxtable Jn. farmer, Barton town
*Huxtable Jn. Fras. farmer, Swincombe
Jones Fras. farmer, North Barton
Leworthy Fred James, carpenter
Leworthy Sl. dairyman, Timworthy
Patter Jas. Gordon, blacksmith, Post office
*Ridd Chas. farmer, Swimcombe
*Ridd Geo. farmer, Withecombe
*Ridd Geo. Partridge, farmer, Town tenement
*Robins Jn. farmer, Wallover
Smith Chas. frmr. Webber's tenement
*Tucker Jn. Geo. farmer, Whitefield
Zealey Chas. Ring of Bells P.H.
Brian Randell, 8 Jan 2009