[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"CHARLES, a parish in the hundred of Sherwill, in the county of Devon, 5 miles N.W. of South Molton. It is situated on the river Bray, near the South-Western railway, which has a station at South Molton Road. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £390, in the patronage of Rev. R. Blackmore. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient stone edifice in the perpendicular style. Here is a school for both sexes. Sir P. Acland, Bart., is lord of the manor."