A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CHAWLEY, a parish in the hundred of NORTH-TAWTON-with-WINKLEY, county of DEVON, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Chulmleigh, containing 792 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £25. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Hon. N. Fellowes. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a low steeple covered with oak shingles, and contains some elegant screen work. A charity school is liberally supported by subscription. Fairs for cattle are held May 6th and December llth.