[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"CHERITON-BISHOP, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, in the county of Devon, 10 miles W. of Exeter, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Crediton railway station, on the North Devon branch of the London and South-Western line. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £321, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient building in the perpendicular style of architecture. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The charities produce about £23 per annum. Here is a private school for both sexes. The lord of the manor is R. L. Pennell, Esq., who resides at Venbridge House in this parish."
"CROCKERNWELL, a hamlet in the parishes of Drewsteignton and Cheriton Bishop, in the county of Devon, 10 miles W. of Exeter. It is situated near the river Teign, in the midst of fine rocky scenery."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003