[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"CHERITON FITZPAINE, a parish in the hundred of West Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 5 miles N.E. of Crediton, its post town and railway station, and 10 N.W. of Exeter. It is situated near a branch of the river Crudy, and includes the tythings of Bradley and Fulford. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £710, in the patronage of the Rev. W. H. Arundell. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice in the Gothic style of architecture. The Independents have a place of worship, and there is a free school for both sexes. The value of the charities distributed yearly amounts to £84. The freeholders are the lords of the manor."
"LITTLE FULFORD, a tything partly in the parishes of Cheriton-Fitzpaine and Shobrooke, hundred of West Budleigh, but chiefly in the parish and hundred of Crediton, county Devon, 1½ mile N.E. of Crediton.Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003