A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CHERITON-FITZPAINE, a parish in the western division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 4¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Crediton, containing 1002 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £37. 6. 8., and in the patronage of — Harris, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The tythings of Bradley and Fulford are partly in this parish, but are wholly returned with the parish of Crediton. There is an almshouse for six poor people, founded and endowed in 1594, by Andrew Scott, besides a small endowed charity school.